Thursday, 3 September 2015

Project Online 2013: Duplication of Custom Views

Project Online 2013: Duplication of Custom Views

I have come across a bug with Project Online, when creating custom views, this impacts any custom views, like Project , Project Center, Resource Center views.
When saving these views, if you click on the "Save" button more than once when initially creating it will save a duplicate of the view, with the same name.
I logged this with Microsoft and they confirmed they could re-produce the issue.
Duplication in Views
Latest feedback from MS is that they are working on the issue and will revert with feedback.
Once I have any further feedback I will revert on this post.

Thursday, 25 June 2015

SharePoint 2013 Install Error : Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)

I have recently come across a weird issue when installing at a new client. If a am correct, what caused this issue, was a mismatch between SharePoint 2013 and Project Server 2013 SP/CU on initial Install.

SharePoint 2013 with SP1 was used to install but Project Server 2013 was not the SP 1 install. I then tried to uninstall Project Server 2013, but it failed. I thing Uninstalled SharePoint and installed again. The install went without hiccups , but when running he config wizard using the GUI or via PowerShell I got this error :

Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).at System.Guid ..........

The reason for this seems to be an invalid value in a registry key of "0"

The solution is to open Regedit and navigate to: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server extensions\14.0\WSS\InstalledProducts

The values in there must have a Proper Data Value set to work. Use list below to set correct value :

For Enterprise trial Version: 88BED06D-8C6B-4E62-AB01-546D6005FE97 
For Enterprise licensed Version : D5595F62-449B-4061-B0B2-0CBAD410BB51 
For Standard trial Version : B2C0B444-3914-4ACB-A0B8-7CF50A8F7AA0
For Standard licensed Version : 3FDFBCC8-B3E4-4482-91FA-122C6432805C

If you then run the config wizard, it should run through without any hickups.

I hope this helps someone else with issue as i was stuck for quite a while on this one. 

Wednesday, 22 October 2014

SharePoint Online - Content Hub

As of late the company i work for TPG Africa, we have started relying allot more on the Content Hub when doing deployments to client. We use both Document and List Content Types when doing a Project Server Deployment.

When we did our first online testing, we created a new site to be used as the content hub. I created a document content type, but got this error when attempting to publish it :

Error on Content type Publishing

So my colleague, Shimone Bezuidenhout started doing some research. It ended up that be default a content hub is created in the Team Site, when the instance is provisioned! If you attempt to create another Content Hub it will not work.

So to get there there, use the Navigation bar on the Top of the SP Online instance, and click on "Sites"
Team Site

Depending on what site has been created, you might see something else that what is displayed above. The site you need to open will be the "Team Site". Once the site have been opened, click on the Site Settings icon (The Gear Thingy) to the right of your name, then select site settings. 
Site Settings for Content Hub

When the Site Settings open for the Team Site, simply use the Site Content Types under the Web Design Galleries menu, to create and publish the Content Types you wish to use!

Create content types 

Any Questions or comments please let me know!


Performance and scale improvements to Project Online Coming Soon

There will be some nice performance and scaling improvements for Project Online. have a look at Chris Boyd's Blog Post below. He is a senior program manager on the Project Engineering Team

Monday, 1 September 2014

Project Online 2013 Built-in reporting Issues with Refreshing

We have been deploying quite a few project Online Deployments for clients of ours. One of the things that I have noticed (Among others) is the fact that there seem to be a random issue with the Built-in Reports from time to time, after initial deployment.

When a user, that has the appropriate permissions try to refresh anyone of the 3 default reports :
  • Project Overview Dashboard 
  • Project Overview
  • Resource Overview
The refreshing fails as per image below :

Refreshing Report Fails

What I did to resolve the issue is to Edit the report in excel, go to the Data Tab, then click on connections, which will open the data connections Window, similar to the window below. Click on each of the connections and the on refresh. It will refresh the connection, and in some cases if there are data, you will start seeing the data in the report. Do this for all connections and lastly SAVE the Report back to the server.
Once that has been done, close the report in the Excel Online viewer and re-open the report and the refreshing should then work.
If you have any questions please let me know.